Everything you need to know about Mrs. Kyle's Kindergarten class.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Patterns Everywhere

In math for the last 2 weeks, we have been learning about patterns. In the classroom we have been able to make all kinds of patterns: color patterns, shape patterns, object patterns, movement patterns and people patterns. We defined a pattern as something that repeats over and over. We concentrated on AB and ABB patterns. Yesterday we went outside and looked for patterns in nature and in the structures.


The kids were finding patterns everywhere we looked. They noticed the pattern of the fence and also saw a pattern in the nails on the fence. (Please don't judge me by my huge gigantic arm. I'm working on it. I'm going to call this the "before" picture.)


I love this pattern in the tree bark.


The chain link fence makes a very interesting pattern.


One of the kids pointed out all the patterns you see here: several brick patterns and the pattern in the circle. We had a good time looking for patterns and I was really surprised at how many they were able to find. Thanks to Mrs. Walrath, I have pictures. I forgot to take my camera with me.


Next week we wll be talking about the months of the year. The students will need to be able to tell me the names of the days of the week and the months of the year by the end of the next 6 weeks period.









No comments:

Post a Comment